Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Oldest Card

Collectors usually look for the most limited rookie or autograph cards of the most popular players.  I do cherish and love to have these cards, but I do not seek them out for my collection. I like finding a little diamonds in the rough. For example, rookie year cards that are not as popular but maybe a little harder to find than the usual rookie card.
I also like getting a rookie card of some forgetten players of the past.  They were stars from their era, but for whatever reason, most fans have no knowledge of them. One such player is Tommy Bridges
1933 Goudey #199

I recently picked up his 1933 Goudey rookie card.  It is not in the best of conditions and thus was not very costly.  Bridges was the ace of the Tigers pitching staff in the 1930s & 40s.  He won 20 games in a season three times, led AL in strikeouts twice and was among the league leaders in strikeouts and ERA on several occasions.  He also made six All-Star teams and along with Hank Greenberg, is the only Tiger to be on four World Series teams. 
If he was pitching today, he would be a household name and his rookie card would be wanted more.  But, he is forgotten mostly and I am proud to have this card as a part of my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment