Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Baseball Card Collection

Before going any further, I will tell you some background on my collection and what I focus on now.
I grew up in the 80s watching baseball and collecting cards. Back then, cards were plentiful and rather inexpensive.  So I tried to accumulate as many different as I could.
Obviously, those days are long gone. So now, I go for more quality over quantity.  What gets me to buy packs now is what rookie cards are included in the set. If it All-timers based set, maybe hope to get an autograph or jersey card.
I may go for a set here and there and am a Tigers fan, so some Tiger cards are collectible for me. I am a bit of a baseball historian. Because of this, my collection tends go towards to players who made a mark in the game, not necessarily the all time greats. 
I am hoping to get at least one decent card of every Hall of Famer(excluding umpires, executives and managers). I also always have a fondness of the old Negro Leagues. Hence, me trying for the 2001 Fleer Stitches In Time insert set.  I would like to get some cards of Negro Leaguers who played in the Majors in the 50s such as a Sam Jethroe or Luke Easter.
Occasionally, I will go after a players last card if it shows his entire career stats on back. For example, 1980 Topps Mickey Lolich has his entire stats from his career that ended in 1979.  I am also starting to do some through the mail autograph attempts.
As you can see, my baseball card collection is kind of random. It mostly comes down to that I am too much of a baseball fan to collect just one team or player. And I don't have the budget to do a lot of set building. So I cherry pick here and there.  You can see my partial wantlist to the right. Here is an example of card not listed there but is something I would like from the junk wax era: 1988 Topps Bill Madlock.  Why this card?  Because A) shows entire career stats on back B) he is a 4-time batting champ and C) him becoming a Tiger was a big reason they won the 1987 division.
I know my brain works in a weird way at times. I will put some of my cards from my collection on here and tradebaits also. Maybe you will understand better. Heck, maybe me too.



No comments:

Post a Comment