Sunday, September 8, 2013

Having It My Way at Burger King

Ever since I started collecting cards, I have always had a disliking for multiple player cards.   Especially if I was trying to collect a specific team or player.  This includes the multiple player rookie cards also.  For example, the 1978 Topps Alan Trammell RC is also Paul Molitor's and U.L. Washington and Mickey Klutts are also featured.
I also had the dilemma of how to catalog the card. As a Trammell RC? or Molitor? or use two entries for one card?  I was/is a fan of both players, but I know Molitor is the one that is more popular nationally even though I am a bigger Trammell fan.  Beyond that, I have a Mickey Klutts card with no desire to have one.  The 1978 Topps set also includes RCs of Lou Whitaker, Jack Morris and Lance Parrish on multiple player cards.
Burger King ran a promotion with a several teams including the Tigers in 1978 and released a team set.  This allowed me to have a nice alternative to Trammell/Molitor RC dilemma.  The Burger King Tigers set uses the same design and pictures(when possible) as the 1978 Topps.  It also includes an Alan Trammell card as his own for his RC year. It also does the same for Whitaker and Morris.  No Parrish though. Oh darn!

 


The Tigers set also features Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, 1968 World Series champ Mickey Stanley, Gold Glove winner Aurelio Rodriguez and other All Stars Rusty Staub and Ron LeFlore.  For any Tiger collector, it is a nice little card set to own, which I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment