Tuesday, June 17, 2014

RIP Tony Gwynn

Tony Gwynn passed away this week due to cancer at the age of 54.  I consider myself lucky growing up in era where I can I say I watched Tony Gwynn.
Simply, he was one of the greatest hitters ever.  Gwynn won batting titles eight times in his 20 year career.  He flirted with the .400 mark in the strike shortened season of 1994.  He finished with a .394 average.

Beyond the numbers, he was a class guy.  He always had a smile on his face.  Always took time for everyone including fans and children.  A pure class guy in all aspects.
Here is my Tony Gwynn rookie cards:
I have his 1983 Topps rookie from my complete set of:

And I also have his donruss roookie:

and fleer:

And I will always cherish them as a part of my collection.
He will be missed for being an ambassador of the game and a teacher of hitting to the next generation of ball players.  I am guessing about right now, Gwynn and Ted Williams are having a long and detailed conversation on the art of hitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment